Pages

The Incredible Hulk on IMDB

I'm a big fan of the Internet Movie Database. I visit it several times a day to look up information on whatever movie I'm watching, thinking about, or reading about. I love participating in the polls and rating movies, and I have a morbid fascination with the message boards. Reading them makes me weep for the future of Hollywood (and humanity) but I can't seem to keep away.

But my enjoyment of the IMDB has been severely hampered for the last week or so by the in-your-face marketing for the Incredible Hulk on the site's main page.

The cartoonish CGI image of the Hulk replacing the normal banner is mildly distracting, but forgivable. The real problem has been the trailer which automatically begins to download every single time I visit the front page.

That's a ton of wasted bandwidth, so I find myself clicking on the first link I can find just to avoid downloading more of the trailer than is necessary. But if I want to actually read any of the material on the front page, I'm forced to endure that same bloody trailer over and over and over and over again.

Does that kind of endlessly repetitive marketing actually work on some people? It certainly doesn't work on me. Prior to this misguided marketing blitz, there was a small chance that I might see The Incredible Hulk in the theatre on a whim, but I'm so sick of that miserable trailer that I'm deliberately avoiding the movie in theatres, and I probably won't ever rent the DVD either.

Rushing out a reboot of the Hulk franchise a mere four years after Ang Lee's version reeks of desperation anyway, but the incessant marketing was the final straw.

Creating audience awareness is the first role of marketing, but enough is enough. My awareness has turned into annoyance.




No comments: