Pages

An Eventful 24 Hours

Yesterday at this time I was unemployed, discouraged, and wondering if I would ever find work again. Then, just before bed, I decided to check the job bank, fully expecting to find nothing.

Five minutes later, I'd found a position I was perfectly qualified for. Thirty minutes later, I'd sent off an application, my hope restored.

This morning, at 11:00 am, I received a message saying I would probably be able to start today if I was available. At 1:00 PM, I spoke to the person doing the hiring over the phone. By 1:20 PM I was hired. At 3:00 PM, I met my new boss face to face for the first time. By 5:00 pm I had been given the keys to the office and was left alone to supervise the operation. What's more, I was working in the owner's office where she'd left her passport in plain view.

It's a good thing I'm so damn trustworthy.

I don't normally like it when things move this fast, but it seems my new employer was every bit as desperate as I was, so it's a good fit for now. There's no job security, it's strictly an on call position that could disappear next week or next month, and the responsibilities are significantly less than what I'm used to, but the hourly rate is as much as I've ever made in my life, the location is good, and I can show up for work in shorts if I want to.

It's a dream job in many ways, but my main duty is something I haven't had to do regularly for ten years, and I hated it then. But there's a good possibility for advancement, and if things continue to move quickly I'll hopefully be moving on to bigger and better things soon.

I wonder what tomorrow will bring?

No comments: